So, as I mentioned...um...three weeks ago, I am a sporadic journal-er at best, so I'm probably even a worse blogger. I even added the little Blogger widget to my homepage so it is there staring at me every time I bring up Safari. However, every time I start thinking about something to write, fear creeps it. I over analyze and decide that it's not worth writing anyhow. I'm letting my fear paralyze me.
Now, my blog-o-phobia is not that big of a deal, except that it is standing in the way of my goal to be a better blogger. But, I've discovered that developing a discipline of overcoming fears is an important part of enjoying life.
I remember one time when I was at a show, about to ride a dressage test from memory. Right before the bell rang for my horse and I to enter the ring, I became afraid that I would not remember where I should perform each element of the test. I unconsciously tensed up and as a result, Captain refused to enter the ring.
Horses are amazing mirrors of human emotions. Their reactions are quick and honest. I was afraid and so he was afraid too. I became frustrated that he would not go forward and so he became both frustrated and afraid. My cues were telling him to go forward, but my body language was telling him that there was something scary ahead.
Finally, I realized what was happening and took a very deep breath, forced my body to relax and calmly asked him to enter the ring. He immediately picked up the trot I had asked for and, lo and behold, I remembered my test.
Now, there are times that it is good to listen to your fears - such as the feeling that you should not run out in front of a moving car because it might hit you - and I am not advocating a lack of common sense. However, most of the fears I face on a daily basis are not based on common sense but instead on anxiety, forgotten truth or a lack of trust. Developing the habit of overcoming these little joy-suckers takes intentionality and a bit of courage. But God wants us to live in love and not fear and is delighted when we choose to walk in His love instead of our fears.
So, sit up straight, take a deep breath and walk on in His love.
No comments:
Post a Comment