While in New Mexico this summer, I'm going to be running their horseback riding program. So, in an effort to combine my love of horses with my passion for story, I've been thinking back through my years of working with horses to come up with stories about what I've learned about myself, life and God through working with these amazing animals.
I figured that chronicling them here would make me think them through more thoroughly and hopefully help me come up with some new ones. Here's one I've used before...it's applicable to my life right now, though I don't know how often I'll use it while teaching western (the saddle horns make jumping a little hazardous.)
Jumping is one of my favorite things to do on a horse. It's about as close as you can get to flying without wings. You point your horse at an obstacle, canter up to it and then they take flight - soaring over the jump and landing on the other side (ideally). It's an adrenaline rush.
When you are approaching the jump, you have to look at it carefully, line up your horse for the best approach and choose a take off spot. However, there comes a time when you have to stop looking at the jump and instead look over it. This is because the focus of your eyes directs your body weight which in turn directs your horse. I always tell my students that you need to look where you want to go. You want to end up over the jump and not on the jump. Therefore, you need to look over the jump.
It comes down to trust. You have to trust your horse to carry you over the jump. Honestly, it's a little scary. But, when you make that jump together, you are in for one amazing experience.
The principle translates into life as well. We are faced with many obstacles as we navigate our life. We have to look at them, size them up, and determine our best approach. Common sense is important. But there comes a point in time when you have to stop looking at the obstacle and instead look over it. Stop focusing on the problem and instead focus on God. Trust Him to carry you over the jump. Staying focused on God helps keep the problem in proper proportion. And when you make that jump together - there's nothing else like it!
So - as I find myself saying over and over in the ring - Eyes up! Look over the jump!
No comments:
Post a Comment