Monday, May 21, 2012

Friday and Saturday in Guatemala

Yesterday evening I was watching a Beth Moore DVD and she talked about how some of the best writers will never write their greatest works because they do not have the discipline to finish what they start. Now, I'm not claiming to be a great writer, but it did hit home. I will finish this series (tonight!) ... and I will keep writing.

In my defense, a little something called Staff Training week interrupted life by bringing in my summer staff and 9 straight, long days at work...Anyway, back to Guatemala...

IMG_1115On Friday we finished up our stove installations and pouring concrete floors. That evening we went to "The Feeding" where the ladies of El Camino prepare food for the people who live in the landfill. Rice, beans and coffee are doled out from the church building in the landfill based on how many people from each family are there. If a family member is unable to come, a church member goes to visit them and to guarantee that everyone gets their fair share. The line stretches way down the alleyway as people wait for the good, hot food. It was a blessing to watch the church reach out and meet an immediate need for so many people.

IMG_1121Afterwards, we went to the construction site for the new school and prayed for the ministry that will happen there. By providing Christian education so close to the landfill, we hope to be able to break the cycle of poverty in the lives of many children. In the words of Pastor Saul's daughter Olivia, we hope to show them that there is life outside the landfill. Two years ago, the team sat and patted the dirt as they prayed, not knowing even if the permit to build would be granted by the city. And then, this year, we laid hands on the first story walls, and the almost leveled soccer field and marveled God's provision. He is so good.

On Saturday, we loaded up and headed back to the airport for the flight back to Atlanta. It was hard to say goodbye to the many people I had bonded with so quickly. It was an amazing experience to be a part of the global body of Christ at work in Guatemala and to experience the love and connection that come from a shared love of Christ. And, because the team and I were only a small part of that body, we know that the work goes on, even though we had to leave. I also know that I will see those people again, at least in heaven. However, if God chooses to answer Ingrid's and my prayers in the way we hope, it will be sooner than that.

1 comment:

Beth Herndon said...

Wow, roomie, you sure witnessed an awful lot in one week's time. I enjoyed reading all of these stories, and what a neat chronicle of this trip to Guatemala. I will be praying for the more adventures that are yet to come for you :)